The National Gallery offers a unique collection of West European art from 13th up to 20th centuries.
The National Gallery is situated in Trafalgar Square, right in the very centre of London.
- The National Gallery will take you on a journey through the history of Western art, covering all major movements and artists of six centuries.
- From Gothic style and Italian Renaissance to French Impressionists, from religious paintings to portraits and landscapes – you will find something for everybody’s taste at the National Gallery!
- Founded in 1824, the National Gallery collection now comprises over 2,300 pictures, the best of which are exhibited in spacious halls in the very centre of London.
- Enjoy all the Great Masters of Western Painting under one roof. The National Gallery boasts 2 masterpieces by Leonardo da Vinci, 2 by Michelangelo, 9 by Raphael, 6 by Titian, to name but a few, as well as collections of works by Holbein, Claude, Rubens, Rembrandt, Caravaggio, Van Dyck, Canaletto and many others.
- A small but carefully selected collection of British painters provides an insight into the development of art in Britain, represented by the best works by well known British artists: Hogarth, Reynolds, Gainsborough, Turner, Constable among others. The national collection of British art is at Tate Britain.
- Several halls are devoted to Impressionists and Post-Impressionists, including Monet, Manet, Renoir, Sezanne, Pissarro, Van Gogh, Gaugin, Seurat, Degas and more.
- As well as permanent displays, the National Gallery organises special exhibitions on various themes, which include not only masterpieces from this museum, but also great works of art from all over the world – in the past the subjects included Raphael, Caravaggio, Russian landscapes, horse paintings by George Stubbs.
- The National Gallery will tempt you with 2 specialist shops selling prints, books and souvenirs, enabling you to take away the lasting memories of your visit.
- There are also a cafe and a restaurant offering the best of cuisine, as well as art for your enjoyment.